Today is one of those days. It's not that I don’t like my dorm (I do) or that it is a crappy building (though it is), it's the lack of control over my own living space. It's the oops-I-left-something-out-in-the-lounge-overnight-and-now-the-cleaning-lady-has-thrown-it-away-forever. It's the getting up in the middle of the night to use the restroom and having the hallway light perpetually shining in your face. It's the lack of a clean kitchen (or, the lack of the knowledge that the dirty dishes in the sink are your own damn fault).
I miss lounging privately. I can't lie out in the lounge without any pants. I can't wander to the bathroom without a shirt on.* I need to wear shoes in the shower. It annoys me.
The noise from the frosh in the middle of the night. The perpetual noise from my heater, which crackles and bangs and heats my room to uncomfortable temperatures over 80 degrees when it's 40 outside even though I've turned it off and complained to the house manager a dozen times.
I like living here--the people are nice and having a community right there is often very helpful. I like how we cook together (like we are today) and go to events together (also like today). I don't like it when people make a lot of noise. I don't like that I can hear everything that goes on behind closer doors and that others can hear me.
I am very grateful I have a single. Despite missing the whole "COLLEGE EXPERIENCE WHOA" factor, I think I'm better off. I got plenty of roomie experience over the past several years + plethora of camps I've attended. I think being in college and also having to deal with the lack of personal space I'm so used to would have driven me mad. Certainly, if I didn't have the ability to just shut the door and do my own thing, I would be very, very unhappy.
I also like the fact that we can paint the walls and drill nails into them. That is nice. :)
*Yes, I realize I could do these things, but that's not the point.
0 comments:
Post a Comment